BB creams have been trending for quite some time now – for all the right reasons. They are lightweight, easily blendable, and offer good enough coverage without caking up like foundations.
They also often contain several skin-beneficial ingredients to provide nourishment and help treat certain imperfections. With so much to offer, it is no wonder that BB cream has become a staple item in most (if not all) people’s makeup collections.
Today, we’re going to discuss some of the best vegan BB creams available on the market. But before we do that, wouldn’t you want to know what makes BB creams non-vegan? So let’s quickly discuss that.
What Can Make BB Creams Non-Vegan?
Blemish balms, aka BB Creams, are not always non-vegan. But, like most other cosmetic products, they can be.
For better or for worse, there is no single universal list of animal ingredients found in BB creams. They tend to vary and may not always be present. But the non-occurrence of animal ingredients isn’t enough for many vegans to use a product. They also look for cruelty-free labels.
While the cruelty-free status of a product can be easily determined by looking for cruelty-free certification logos on products, it takes a little more work to figure out the vegan status of a BB cream.
To help simplify the process for you, here’s a quick list of the animal ingredients that BB creams may have and you should look for:
- Beeswax – Used as an emulsifier to blend oils and water, this is a non-vegan ingredient for ethical reasons. It may also appear with the names of Cera Alba or Cera Flava on labels.
- Collagen – An ingredient added to certain BB creams that claim to have anti-aging properties, collagen improves the elasticity of the skin, helping to keep it plump and younger-looking. It is always animal-derived, though. Collagen used in cosmetic products is obtained from animal skin.
- Elastin – Another anti-aging ingredient that helps prevent skin sagging, elastin is most commonly extracted from the vertebrae or aorta of cattle.
- Glucosamine – It’s an ingredient that helps improve skin hydration by stimulating the synthesis of hyaluronic acid and also decreases wrinkles. But it’s always derived from animals, mostly from the bone marrow of chickens.
- Guanine – Also referred to as Pear Powder, Pearl Extract, and Pearl Essence, this is an ingredient that may be present in BB creams that promise a luminous, shimmery finish. It comes from fish scales.
- Lanolin – If the BB cream you’re considering buying claims to have moisturizing properties, you should look for lanolin on its ingredients list. It’s a fatty substance known for its incredible moisturizing properties. But it’s extracted from sheep’s wool.
Ingredients in BB Creams That May or May Not Be Animal Derived
While the above ingredients are always or almost always non-vegan, the following ones can be taken from animal or plant sources:
- Lecithin – An emollient used to help restore skin hydration, lecithin can be derived from eggs, sunflowers, or soy.
- Hyaluronic Acid – It is usually vegan in skincare and cosmetic products but can sometimes be animal-derived.
- Glycerin – Used to replenish and retain moisture in the skin, glycerin can be made from plant oils and animal fats, so you have to look at the ingredients list to see what type is used in a particular product. Items that contain plant-based glycerin usually list it as ‘vegetable glycerin.’
These are quite a lot of ingredients to look for. And we have not even discussed the countless chemical-based ingredients that BB creams contain. So, let’s cut it short and make things simple by taking a look at BB creams that are confirmed vegan and cruelty-free.
7 of the Best Vegan BB Creams That Are Also Cruelty-Free
There are plenty of BB creams on the market that meets the vegan and cruelty-free criteria, but after detailed analyses, research, and user reviews, I have picked a few.
Here are my top picks for the best vegan and cruelty-free BB creams:
1. COOLA Organic Rosilliance BB Cream (LINK)
If you’re looking for a BB cream that provides good enough coverage to hide all your skin imperfections without feeling heavy or giving a cakey appearance, COOLA’s Organic Rosilliance BB Cream is a great option.
Featuring a deeply moisturizing formula with antioxidants offering long-term antiaging benefits and SPF providing UV protection, COOLA’s Organic BB cream is an all-in-one makeup product to get that flawless look with skincare benefits.
It offers ample coverage for blemishes and acne scars, and its non-comedogenic formula helps prevent clogged pores and further breakouts.
Along with antioxidants, the vegan BB cream also contains rose stem cells that have outstanding benefits for the skin.
They help moisturize skin, possess great anti-inflammatory properties, fight acne and impurities, soothe sensitive skin, protect against environmental damage, and prevent skin aging by boosting collagen production and cell turnover.
The lightweight, water-resistant, and skin-beneficial formula of COOLA’s vegan and cruelty-free BB creamprovides a naturally radiant finish, making it ideal for everyday use.
- Hawaii reef compliant
- Leaping Bunny certified
- Non-comedogenic, non-GMO
- SPF 30
- Even though the product name says so, it’s not 100% organic; 70% of its ingredients are organic.
- May feel slightly greasy when applied with a heavy hand
- Limited shades; there are only three
2. INIKA Certified Organic BB Cream (LINK)
INIKA is a certified organic beauty brand. Its BB cream is made with 80% organic ingredients, including avocado and jojoba oils and prickly pear and pomegranate extracts. It’s hypoallergenic and free of toxic chemicals, which makes it safe even for those with sensitive skin.
The BB cream features a hydrating, antiaging formula packed with vitamins E and K, amino acids, and antioxidants. It helps replenish and retain skin moisture, promotes collagen production, and helps fight against the signs of premature aging.
Providing a natural radiant finish with buildable coverage, INIKA vegan BB cream can be used on its own as a primer, moisturizer, or foundation. It is also suitable for all skin types.
- Certified organic, cruelty-free, and halal
- It can be used on the whole body
- Comes in darker shades, too
- Toxin-free formula safe for sensitive skin
- Suitable for all skin types
- Buildable coverage
- Caters to various skin tones
- No sun protection
- Some found the smell a little unpleasant
3. Purlisse Perfect Glow BB Cream (LINK)
Formulated with Artemisia, chamomile, and sugar maple extracts known for their incredible skin soothing, antioxidant, and skin rejuvenating properties and no chemicals, Purlisse Perfect Glow BB Cream is gentle on your skin and safe enough for everyday use. It’s even recommended for those with rosacea.
Purlisse all-natural vegan BB cream also blends well and gives a flawless dewy-matte finish with SPF 30 sun protection. It offers good coverage but doesn’t feel cakey at all. Antioxidants in it help protect against environmental stressors, whereas the hydrating formula helps replenish the lost moisture and suppleness.
- Suitable for all skin types, even acne-prone and rosacea-affected
- Comes in 11 shades
- Gentle formula, safe enough for those with rosacea
- Lightweight, easy to apply, and blends well
- SPF 30
- According to some user reviews, it may not be easy to find your correct shade in this BB cream (which is surprising as it comes in 11 different shades).
4. Boscia Skin Perfecting BB Cream (LINK)
Do you have sensitive skin that gets irritated or breaks out with almost every makeup product? Try out Boscia’s Skin Perfecting BB Cream!
Like others on our list, this BB cream also boasts an ethical formula, good coverage, hydrating and skin-protecting benefits, and sun protection. But it also has added benefits, making it a great option for those with super sensitive skin.
It has a gentle, antioxidant-rich formula free of preservatives, colors, and fragrances that can irritate sensitive skin. It also contains vitamins and turmeric oil known for its antibacterial properties for centuries.
It has taro root extract that’s rich in vitamins A and E and helps fight against free radicals, prevents and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and boosts cell turnover.
Turmeric oil it contains also has anti-aging properties. But what makes it even better is its ability to reverse discoloration and damage caused by sun exposure. Isn’t it great?
Another factor that helps Boscia’s vegan BB cream stand out from others on our list is that, along with the standard UV protection, it also protects against blue light and other environmental pollutants.
- Antioxidant-rich, skin-protecting, and correcting formula
- SPF 30
- Natural finish with sheer to light-medium coverage
- Fragrance-free vegan BB cream
- Preservatives-free and colors-free
- It may not be suitable for dry skin
5. Pacifica Alight Multi-Mineral BB Cream (LINK)
Tired of finding your exact shade in BB creams, but no matter how carefully you choose, something always seems to be a bit off when you apply it? You’re not alone.
The problem is all too common. Pacifica Alight Multi-Mineral BB Cream may be the solution we’ve all been looking for.
Manufactured with advanced shade-matching technology, this vegan and cruelty-free BB cream uses specialized mineral pigments that instantly adjust to the user’s skin shade upon application, offering a perfect match.
Hyaluronic acid and coconut water make this BB cream incredibly hydrating, and its toxin-free formula makes it safe to use.
Pacifica Alight vegan BB creamy is free of all the nasty chemicals, like silicones, parabens, phthalates, petroleum, and mineral oils. It also has kelp, ginseng, and floral stem cells, which give it anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, and antioxidant benefits.
Kelp also acts as a great natural gentle exfoliator, removing toxins and dead skin cells without irritating the skin.
The BB cream offers sheer coverage but can easily be built up to your desired level and a natural illuminating finish. If you’re looking for a BB cream that brightens up your dull face without making it too shiny, this one’s for you.
- Natural, illuminating finish
- Silicone-free, paraben-free, mineral oil-free, and phthalates-free
- Incredibly hydrating with coconut water and hyaluronic acid
- Does not provide sun protection
- Very light coverage, which some may not like
- It might feel a little oily on some skin types
6. PURITO Cica Clearing BB Cream (LINK)
You don’t have to be an expert to know how amazing Korean beauty products are. Incomparable to our western products, they are in a league of their own.
Add to it the fact that BB creams originally emerged from Asian beauty markets, and you’re left with no reason not to reach out for a Korean BB cream. This one by PURITO is one of the many excellent options on the market.
In addition to serving the primary purpose of providing a silky smooth, flawless finish, this vegan Korean BB cream is packed with a bunch of skin-beneficial ingredients, just what you expect from a Korean beauty product.
It has Allantoin, Centella Asiatica Extract, Panthenol, and Niacinamide; one of the most sought-after skincare ingredients lately.
It’s hydrating and calming with skin protection benefits. Niacinamide will also help regulate sebum production and improve skin texture over time.
PURITO Circa Clearing vegan BB cream also blends into the skin beautifully, giving a medium coverage with a soft velvety finish with a pinch of healthy, natural glow.
Lastly, it comes in sustainable packaging, making it an even better option for vegans who feel as strongly about the environment as they do for the animals.
- Hydrating, soothing, skin-protecting, and repairing properties
- Medium coverage with a soft velvety finish that’s perfect for both everyday and party wear
- Does not contain essential oils that may irritate sensitive skin
- Sustainable packaging makes it even more earth-friendly
- It may not be suitable for oily skin
- No sun protection
7. LAMAV Organic BB Cream (LINK)
Creamy texture, good coverage, non-greasy finish, and hydrating formula. If these are the features you’re looking for in your vegan and cruelty-free BB cream, this one by LAMAV Organic will make a great choice.
Infused with a range of bioactive ingredients, like rosehip oil, Co Enzyme Q10, vitamin C, and hyaluronic acid, the BB cream also has anti-aging properties, helps prevent blemishes, evens out skin tone, and brightens the skin.
The incredible combination of ingredients makes this vegan BB cream a multipurpose product, eliminating the need for multiple products.
LAMAV organic vegan BB cream is also suitable for those with skin issues like acne, rosacea, and eczema. The warm, dewy finish it offers works well for both daytime and evening wear.
- Non-greasy finish
- Hydrates and brightens
- Antiaging properties
- Suitable for sensitive and problematic skin
- Chemical-free and paraben-free
- While it has vitamin C that acts as a natural sun protectant, it doesn’t contain any SPF.
- Some may find the creamy texture a little difficult to blend well
Famous Beauty Brands That Test on Animals
A look at the ingredients list can help determine the vegan status of a beauty product, but finding out whether a brand tests on animals or not requires a little more work.
To help save you from that hassle and making wrong choices due to lack of knowledge, I thought it would be great to highlight some popular beauty brands that are not cruelty-free:
- La Roche-Posay
- Estee Lauder
- Bobbi Brown
Conclusion – What is the Best Vegan BB Cream?
It’s impossible to name one (or even a few, for that matter). Your skin type, concerns, your preferred coverage and finish, and what additional skin benefits you’re looking for all go into choosing the best vegan BB cream. And since these choices vary from one person to another, their best picks may also vary.
All the BB creams we have highlighted above are 100% vegan and cruelty-free and offer a range of additional skin benefits, so you can choose from them freely, knowing you’ll get the best formulas.
Do you struggle to achieve a flawless makeup look, no matter how much you try? Check out the following video for a quick tutorial…
Now that you know your best vegan BB cream options, how about picking out a vegan concealer, too, for an even more flawless look? Check out my article Best Vegan Concealer Brands to know your best options.