Inexpensive, easy to cook, filling, satisfying, delicious, and incredibly versatile, sausages are truly a blessing. Whether you’re looking to whip up a quick meal on a busy weekday or amp up your weekend dinner, prepare a grab-and-go breakfast or make an elaborate dinner, host a summer barbecue or a hygge winter party, sausages always come to your rescue.
Yet, this incredibly versatile pantry staple disappears from your grocery list when you turn vegan. It shouldn’t have to, though. Thanks to the rise of veganism, we now have many vegan sausage brands offering plant-based versions of almost all popular sausage varieties and some unique ones.
Vegan sausages are one of the popular plant-based meat alternatives (no surprise there). However, just like standard meat-based sausages, not all of them are the same or good. The textures and flavors of different plant-based sausage brands vary significantly.
The Best Vegan Sausage Brands
To help you have the best meatless sausage experience, I have shortlisted some of the best plant-based sausage brands out there. Take a look to spice up your vegan meals:
1. Beyond Meat
Founded by Ethan Brown in 2009, the Los Angeles-based vegan meat substitute manufacturing company needs no introduction. Beyond Meat has established itself as an industry giant in a very short time. The company offers a good range of great-tasting vegan meat substitutes, including sausages.
Beyond Meat offers six different varieties of vegan sausages in two categories:
- Beyond Sausage – Brat Original, Hot Italian, and Sweet Italian
- Beyond Breakfast Sausage – Classic Plant-Based Patties, Spicy Plant-Based Patties, and Classic Plant-Based Links
Offering significantly less saturated fats than meat-based sausages and 8 grams to 16 grams of protein, depending on the variety, Beyond Meat’s vegan sausages are soy-free, non-GMO, and Kosher-verified. Beyond Meat caters to a broader audience with its great-tasting sausages, making taste a key factor behind the meatless brand’s popularity.
2. Field Roast
Looking for vegan sausages that you can also serve to your meat-eating friends without getting raised eyebrows or remarks about how rubbery they taste?
Get Field Roast’s vegan sausages!
The brand is known for its clean ingredients and big, bold flavors. They use vegetables, legumes, grains, and various herbs to create delicious plant-based meat substitutes, and Field Roast sausages are no exception.
What makes Field Roast sausages even more tempting is the range of incredible flavors they come in. These include:
- Smoked Apple & Sage
- Italian Garlic & Fennel
- Spicy Mexican Chipotle
- Caramelized Onions & Beer
- Apple & Maple
- Classic Plant-Based Breakfast Sausage Patties
Field Roast also offers vegan hot dogs in two varieties:
- Signature Stadium Dog
- Classic Smoked Plant-Based Frankfurters
If you don’t like to experiment with your food and want to play it safe, you can also choose Field Roast vegan sausages. They’re clean, non-GMO, and oh-so-delicious that you can never go wrong with them.
Love tofu? Plant-based sausages from Tofurky are a must-try for all tofu lovers. No one puts tofu to better use than the people at this family-owned company. They combine tofu with a range of other carefully selected, natural, plant-based ingredients, herbs, and spices to create a range of delicious vegan sausages.
Tofurky’s plant-based sausages are available in the following flavors:
- Spinach Pesto – They’re a perfect option for scrambles, casseroles, and pasta.
- Andouille – They’re a great choice for spice lovers who prefer Louisiana-style sausages.
- Italian – Amp up your Italian soups, sautés, and pasta with the freshness of basil and the sweet flavor of sun-dried tomatoes.
- Kielbasa – These Polish-style sausages go perfectly well with sauerkraut and potatoes.
- Beer Brats – Your search for the best vegan sausage for BBQ ends with Tofurky’s plant-based Beer Brats sausage.
- Jumbo Hot Dogs – Nothing beats the classic hot dog sandwich, and these vegan hot dogs from Tofurky give you the same great taste.
While Tofurky’s vegan sausages pack a whole lot of flavors, they have zero cholesterol and are low in saturated fat. Their calorie count, however, is slightly higher than other plant-based sausage options in this list.
Committed to making foods clean and its brand carbon-neutral, Lightlife uses everyday plant-based ingredients to make vegan meat substitutes. Rocking it for over 40 years, Lightlife has one of the most extensive ranges of vegan sausages, including:
- Plant-Based Sausages – Offering 14 g of protein per serving, these vegan sausages come in Bratwurst and Italian flavorings. Made of pea protein, these are soy-free and gluten-free, too.
- Smart Sausage – With 15 g of protein and 0.5 g of saturated fat, these guilt-free soy sausages are available in Italian and Chorizo varieties.
- Smart Dogs – Available in standard and jumbo sizes, these hot dogs will satisfy your craving for the traditional hot dog flavor without ruining your vegan diet.
- Plant-Based Breakfast – Start your days off right with Lightlife’s vegan breakfast options. Choose from its Breakfast Patties, Breakfast Links, Gimme Lean Sausage, and vegan bacon Smart Bacon choices. Aren’t you excited already?
No matter which of these you choose to try, be ready to experience a powerful burst of flavors along with natural nutrients.
5. No Evil Foods
No Evil Foods isn’t as big of a name in the vegan food industry as the other companies on this list. It’s based in Asheville, North Carolina and was established in 2014 only. Despite being the new kid on the block, however, it has made it to the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals’ (PETA’s) list in such a short period, which speaks volumes about the quality of its products.
No Evil Foods is considered one of the best vegan sausage brands by PETA. The key factor that sets it apart from its competitors is that it makes plant-based meat from the ingredients that it grows on its own. The company is also environmentally sustainable.
When it comes to plant-based sausages, No Evil Foods offer:
- The Stallion – No Evil Foods’ Stallion is a meatless sausage with classic Italian flavors.
- El Capitan – This crumbled plant-based chorizo is perfect for chili, queso, and tacos.
Who Makes the Best Vegan Sausages?
All the meatless brands listed above make great-tasting vegan sausages that will tantalize your taste buds and satisfy your cravings without compromising your dietary commitments. Which one you choose to buy or consider the best should depend on your purchasing criteria.
Soy-Free Vegan Sausages
If you’re allergic to soy, go for Lightlife’s classic plant-based sausages or Beyond Meat sausages for a greater variety of flavors. These plant-based sausages are gluten-free as well.
Vegan Sausage With the Highest Protein
Field Roast’s Mexican Chipotle sausage has the highest protein in all the vegan sausages on our list. One serving of Field Roast’s Mexican Chipotle sausage provides 28 grams of protein.
Best Vegan Breakfast Sausage
Beyond Meat, Field Roast, and Lightlife all offer some really good plant-based breakfast sausages. Which one you like the most will depend on your taste, but to give you an idea, here’s what different people think:
You can also make your own vegan breakfast sausage. Feeling adventurous? Check out the following video for an easy recipe:
Best Tasting Vegan Sausage
Here’s what people think of the best vegan sausage brand in terms of taste:
Told ya, all the meatless brands that I have shortlisted for you offer delicious plant-based sausages.
Gluten-Free Vegan Sausage Brand
Beyond Meat is a gluten-free, vegan sausage brand. If you or a loved one has gluten intolerance or avoids it for general health purposes, you can enjoy Beyond Meat’s plant-based sausages without having to worry about your health.
Did you find this article helpful? If yes, you might also love to read about the Best Vegan Deli Meat Brands!