Louisiana’s classic Creole dishes are well-loved by foodies across the country, but most of them are traditionally non-vegan. However, as with most other types of cuisines, the spread of veganism has initiated changes here as well.
If you want a classic creole dining experience without compromising your vegan diet, Souley Vegan is one of your best options.
With restaurants in Oakland, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Las Vegas, Souley Vegan offers authentic Louisiana creole dishes made with 100% plant-based ingredients. Let’s look at the Souley Vegan menu to find out what’s in store for you.
Souley Vegan Options
Souley offers the distinctive flavors of the south through a great range of freshly-prepared vegan food. The plant-based options available at Souley Vegan are spread across the following categories:
- Burgers and Sandwiches
- Combination Plates
Want to know what exact options do you have in each category? Keep reading for a detailed overview of Souley Vegan food options.
Souley Vegan also has a brunch menu; we’ll also list the options available on that after discussing the restaurant’s standard menu.
Souley Vegan Menu 2023 – A Detailed Breakdown
Here are all the food choices available at Souley Vegan:
Souley Vegan Appetizers
Crispy fried appetizers offer a delicious start to any meal. But, they often come with the risk of cross-contamination. That’s not the case at Souley Vegan, though. The all-vegan restaurant brings you a range of 100% plant-based appetizers cooked in vegetable oil.
Here are all your appetizer options at Souley Vegan:
- Hearty Croquettes – Made with zucchini and hearts of palm, these breaded vegan croquettes are served with Souley Vegan’s signature creamy and zesty pray-4-me sauce.
- Deez Ain’tgator Bites – Pieces of mushroom and Louisiana hot links are marinated with a special creole spice mix and then fried to crispy perfection. These delicious, crispy, vegan bites are served with a house-made swamp sauce for an extra burst of flavor.
- Light & Crispy Okra – Made to order, this Souley Vegan appetizer is served with the restaurant’s secret creamy dipping sauce and lemon wedges on the side.
- Cheezy Creole Pop’ens – Labeled as spicy on the Souley Vegan appetizer menu, this rich and hearty appetizer features sautéed jalapenos coated in delicious vegan creole cheese. It comes with a ranch sauce made in-house with 100% plant-based ingredients.
- Spicy Buffalo Seitan Strips – Crispy on the outside and soft and juicy on the inside, this is your vegan alternative to classic Buffalo wings made with house-made seitan strips. To balance the spice, it’s served with a creamy vegan ranch dressing, celery sticks, and carrots.
- F.L.O.C (For Lovers of Calamari) – Offering as close to the fried calamari flavor as possible, this plant-based appetizer at Souley Vegan is made with the heart of palm and served with a creamy vegan dipping sauce and lemon wedges for a hint of citrusy freshness.
- Creole Nachos – Your classic corn tortilla chips are topped with house-made vegan creole cheese, pieces of seasoned seitan, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and green onions to make this everyone’s favorite appetizer the vegan way. You can make it more delicious by adding black beans, black olives, sour cream, and/or guacamole at small additional costs.
- Seasoned Fries – What’s an appetizer menu without fries? These are your good ol’ basic seasoned fries that you can elevate a bit by topping them off with jalapenos, creole cheese, and/or sour cream by paying a little extra.
- Dirty Cajun Fries – Don’t want to pay extra for your fries’ topping? Get Dirty Cajun Fries from the Souly Vegan menu. These come topped with house-made “dirty” Cajun sauce, jalapenos, cheese, and vegan parmesan.
Souley Vegan Salads
Named as Rawsome Salads, the vegan salad category on the Souley Vegan menu is comprised of just two options. These include:
- Monster Kale – Made with kale, baby spinach, and cucumbers, this healthy and nutritious green salad comes topped with house-made falafel, a creamy vegan dressing, and plant-based parmesan to make sure it’s also a treat for your taste buds.
- Refreshingly Raw Collard Wraps – As the name suggests, these are salad wraps made with fresh collard leaves stuffed with red cabbage, zucchini, carrots, and cucumbers. These are served with a delicious creamy peanut sauce made in-house following the vegan dietary guidelines.
Souley Vegan Burgers and Sandwiches
Gone are the times when vegans could only dream of plant-based burgers and sandwiches. The massive spread of veganism has made this long-held dream of plant-eaters a reality.
We now have quite a few vegan burger and sandwich choices available at various restaurants. Your options for plant-based burgers and sandwiches at Souley Vegan include the following:
- PB & J – It’s your classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Need I say anymore?
- Pray 4 Me – A rich, hearty, delicious, and filling double-deck burger made with house-made vegan patties, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, coleslaw, ketchup, cheese, and the restaurant’s special pray-4-me sauce. It comes with freshly cooked seasoned fries on the side, making it a complete vegan meal.
- Proud Mary – This vegan stacked burger from Souley Vegan is one-of-its-kind. It’s made with two types of tofu – crispy fried tofu and smoky tofu offering an incredible combination of flavors and textures and an unforgettable vegan burger experience.
- Black Bean and Quinoa – As evident from the name, this vegan burger features a black bean and quinoa patty with tomatoes, onions, lettuce, pickles, garlic aioli, and our good ol’ ketchup inside a fresh toasted bun.
- Louisiana Hot Link – Offering classic Louisianan flavors, this Souely Vegan sandwich features house-made vegan hot links with refreshing dill coleslaw, tomatoes, and garlic aioli.
- OG Southern Fried Tofu – Another tofu option on the Souley Vegan’s Burgers and Sandwiches menu; this one is made with southern fried tofu, the restaurant’s special creamy vegan garlic aioli, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, pickles, and ketchup.
- Country Seitan or Ain’tgator Po’Boy – This is Louisiana’s traditional sandwich made the vegan way. It contains fried seitan with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, mustard, and po-boy sauce inside a baguette and comes with freshly cooked seasoned fries on the side.
Souley Vegan Entrées
Your main course options at Souley Vegan aren’t just limited to burgers and sandwiches. The restaurant offers a range of classic Louisianan entrées as well, prepared in-house with all plant-based ingredients. Your choices include:
- Creole Spaghetti – This delicious pasta dish is made with semolina pasta glazed in olive oil and tossed with Souley Vegan’s special vegan spaghetti sauce containing tomatoes, onions, peppers, black olives, and garlic. The dish comes topped with fresh house-made falafel.
- Spaghetti Cajun – The second vegan spaghetti variety on the Souley Vegan menu features semolina pasta tossed with a slightly spicy and creamy Cajun-inspired coconut cream sauce and olive oil glaze.
- Jazzin’ Jambalaya – This vegan rendition of classic jambalaya features house-made seitan instead of meat flavored with a special creole spice mix along with a combination of veggies over a bed of rice.
- Sizzlin’ Skillet Mac & Cheeze – Souley Vegan’s mac & cheese is not just the vegan version of this classic pasta dish, it’s also elevated with the addition of vegan pesto and jalapenos. It’s rich, creamy, spicy, and oh-so-delicious.
- Roasted Zucchini Etoufee – Traditionally made with shellfish, this classic Creole and Cajun dish is given a vegan makeover in the Souley Vegan kitchen. What you get as a result is roasted zucchini in a rich, creamy, and slightly-spicy coconut-based rue.
- The Southern Staples Bowl – When you order this vegan entrée at Souley Vegan, you get a bowl filled with southern-style grits topped with crispy fried tofu and delicious okra gumbo prepared in-house using the freshest of ingredients.
- Seitan Steaks with Gravy & Mash – Just because you have turned vegan doesn’t mean you can’t have steaks. Souley Vegan offers vegan steaks made with seitan served with delicious house-made gravy, creamy vegan mashed potatoes, sautéed onions, and greens.
- Crispy Seitan & Waffles – As evident from the name, this vegan version of everyone’s favorite chicken and waffles features seitan chicken with a dairy and egg-free Belgian waffle, vegan butter, and warm maple syrup.
- New Orleans Okra Gumbo – A staple in Louisianan cuisine, this dish traditionally includes seafood. However, when made vegan at Souley Vegan restaurant, okra is the sole star ingredient of this dish. Ingredients used to flavor and enhance the dish include a special blend of creole spices, garlic, tomatoes, corn, seaweed, onions, celery, and bell peppers. It’s served with rice.
Souley Vegan Combination Plates & Sides
The Souley Vegan menu doesn’t explain how these food items are prepared or what ingredients are used in them. But, since the restaurant is all vegan, you can rest assured that none of them will ruin your plant-based diet.
Your choices for combination plates and plant-based sides at Souley Vegan include:
- Southern Fried Tofu
- BBQ Tofu
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Mac & Cheeze
- Red Boy Beans & Rice
- Louisiana Black Eyed Peas
- Braised Spinach
- Black Olives Potato Salad
- Country Collard Greens
- Sweet Potato Biscuit
- Cinnamon Brown Sugar Yams
Souley Vegan Beverages
The Souley Vegan menu given online lists very few options in the beverages section. These include:
- Cayenne Lemonade
- Strawberry Ginger Splash
- Unsweetened Green Mint Tea – brewed in-house.
The restaurant also offers a variety of cocktails, beers, and wines, but their menu is only available in-house.
While the menu doesn’t mention it, I am pretty sure you can also get the regular sodas as Souley Vegan (they are available everywhere, aren’t they?)
Souley Vegan Brunch Menu
As mentioned in the beginning, Souley Vegan also offers brunch every Sunday from 10 am to 3 pm (no more compromising your sleep to enjoy brunch at a restaurant). The choices you have on the Souley Vegan’s brunch menu include:
Souley Vegan Brunch Entrées
- Sweet Potato Waffles – Served with maple syrup, vegan butter, and fresh fruits.
- Blueberry Pancakes – Come with maple syrup, plant-based butter, and fresh fruits.
- Sourdough French Toast – Made without eggs and dairy, these come topped with melted vegan butter, maple syrup, bananas, raisins, pecan pralines, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Smothered Potatoes – Potatoes sautéed with onions and garlic and served with fresh fruits on the side.
- Sausage & Tofu Pesto Scramble – Made fresh upon ordering, this vegan scramble is served on an English muffin and comes with a side of fresh fruits.
- Hoppin’ John – Features an assortment of veggies, fresh herbs, sautéed red beans, and garlic cooked in olive oil over basmati rice.
- Fried Candied Yam Tots – Served with warm marshmallow sauce on the top.
- Okra Gumbo
- Seitan Chick ‘N’ Waffles
- Seitan “Shrimp” N Grits
- Cheese Grits Topped with Broiled Tomato
Souley Vegan Brunch Combo Plates
- Sweet Potato Waffles
- Blueberry Pancakes
- Tofu Scramble
Choose any of these vegan entrées with two plant-based sides from the following:
- Smothered Potatoes
- House-Made Sausage
- Sausage Gravy Rosemary Biscuits
- Tofu Scramble
Souley Vegan Brunch Sides
You can also order any of the following sides to make your vegan brunch at Souley Vegan more interesting and filling:
- Whole Wheat Toast
- Sweet Grits
- Oatmeal with Brown Sugar and Vegan Butter
Souley Vegan Brunch Beverages
- Fresh Orange Juice
- Pomegranate Mimosas
- 21 N Up Deep South Party Punch
- Vegan Milk – Choices available are Almond and Soy Milk
Does Souley Vegan Offer Plant-Based Desserts?
Souley Vegan’s standard menu doesn’t include any sweet treat choices. However, there are a few vegan dessert options on Souley Vegan’s catering menu. Here are your choices:
- 6-Inch Double Layer Cake
- 9-Inch Double Layer Cake
All these cake varieties are available in Pecan Praline, Coconut, Lemon, and Red Velvet Chocolate flavors.
- New Orleans Beignets
- Peach Cobbler
- Deep-Dish Lemon Cheesecake – made with vegan cream cheese
- Deep-Dish Sweet Potato Pie
Souley Vegan is a great place for those looking to enjoy classic Louisianan Creole flavors without compromising or risking their vegan dietary commitment.
The restaurant offers a good variety of choices made with 100% plant-based ingredients. Since it’s an all-vegan restaurant, you also don’t risk plant-based dishes getting contaminated with animal ingredients due to shared equipment.
If you live in Oakland, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Las Vegas or visiting any of these cities, make sure to stop by this restaurant for a delicious and satisfying vegan meal.
Did you find this article helpful? Want to know about other vegan restaurants around the country? Check out my article Holi Vegan Kitchen Menu to determine what this Florida-based restaurant offers for vegan diners.